Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Word of the day: yummy

When I read a blog on the NY Times Web site, I saw a comment that asked the author to refrain from using the word "yummy." They said, "Please, can the word 'yummy' be banned? It means nothing, and sounds sick-making." I thought that this was hilarious, and then I wondered if "yummy" was a real word. I found out that it is!

YUMMY

pronunciation:
yuhm-ee
part of speech: adjective
origin: 1925-1930


Definition:
1. very pleasing to the senses, esp. to the taste; delicious: The waiter brought out a tray of yummy desserts.
2. extremely attractive or appealing.

Colleen's sentence: The Thanksgiving dinner I ate yesterday was quite tasty.
Haha just kidding. The sentence really is: The Thanksgiving dinner I ate yesterday was quite yummy.

I think I am most entertained by the fact that it was invented in the 1920's/1930's. The roaring 20's gave the English language some interesting words and phrases, such as "the bees knees" and the "the cats pajamas," and now, possibly the word "yummy."

This word has been around for a while, and if it's going to stay in our lovely repertoires, the angry comment-leaver is just going to have to get used to it!

8 comments:

Marguerite Day said...

I'm really glad you decided to post about that. Your "word of the day" gave me a good laugh, which is much needed after all the food I ate yesterday. I always think it's interesting how words come into our language. For instance, I never thought ginormous was a word. I thought it was something the writers of "Elf" used to be funny. After watching the movie though, I decided to look it up. Turns out, it was a word that began in 1948, way before the writers of "Elf" came up with their script.

Unknown said...

Colleen, you always have great posts! I wish I was a creative and thoughtful as you! I appreciate you focusing your posts on words, which is quite appropriate for our class, but also very interesting. I especially enjoyed your post about the word "yummy."

Elyse said...

I don't think I have ever used the word yummy in my life. Maybe yum, but not yummy. If I saw that word in a newspaper I would have to laugh. I am also really interested in words and their origins, and yummy just seems like a word someone made up one day. Ha, although all words have just been "made up some day."

Clair said...

On the Beatles Anthology DVDs, George Martin says "the bees-knees." I love it. I try to remember to say it but always forget.

Colleen said...

I have to say that I love learning about new words, and I appreciate your post Marguerite. I totally thought that Elf made up the word ginormous too! Plus, it's also quite amusing that spell check wants me to check the word ginormous. Perhaps someone should inform computer programmers that it is a real word. Also, one of the reasons I love Shakespeare so much is that he made up words all the time. He's one man who is responsible for a good portion of our language. I think we should all get together and make up a word and see if it catches on. And Karlie, I love you too!!

Trisha said...

Hahaha, great post. I wouldn't have thought "yummy" was so old! I tried to call my boyfriend "the bees knees" yesteray, and he didn't know what I was saying to him.

Eric Heisig said...

There is a post about "palatable" and how that is a good word that means the same thing. I commented on that post, and I think I will have to stick with my opinion that "palatable" is indeed the superior word. Rolls off the tongue...

Unknown said...

I have to say that I would never actually verbally say the word yummy, but I would probably be more inclined to use during a casual conversation on AIM just because it's a funny type of word.