Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Error of My Ways

Last Monday, we took a Stylebook quiz and on the quiz was one of my sentences. Obviously, it was a little embarrassing, but it really taught me to edit my work to the best of my knowledge. This is something that is very important because when you showcase your work to the world, it should be correct, or it will reflect poorly upon you.
I kept this in mind when I was writing a cover letter a few nights ago, and I think it really helped. I edited the letter several times, and had a few other people look it over because I realize that I am not the best at grammar and punctuation. While I personally edited it, I found several punctuation mistakes that I never would have noticed had I not read it several times. I would not have read it several times if my incorrectly punctuated sentence had not been on the quiz. So even though it was embarrassing, I think seeing the sentence on the quiz actually helped me, and will continue to help me in the future.
However, I think my personal problem with editing is that I only see a mistake if someone points out the possibility of a mistake. So for me, it is easier to see the mistakes on the quiz sentences because I know that they are there. Hopefully, by reading my work over several times, I'll start to notice any mistakes.

No comments: